Most companies would try to persuade you that the end of the world is coming and that mold growing in your home is the worst thing to happen.
However, we at GCD Restoration understand that mold is a natural part of our evolution and has been around us for millennia.
Can mold be good or is it all bad
Fungi, mold and other type of bacteria are all a part of a necessary eco-system which biodegrades biological material.
In fact, one of the first residents on land, long before our evolutionary parents arose from the sea, were primitive types of fungi.
This was back when there was not vegetation, no grasses, no animals, only rock and minerals.
It’s thanks to these gentle giants (they were huge), that we now have life on soil.
Their digestive processes broke the inedible down to more manageable peaces and produced the first plant life on the planet.
Penicillin – most important medical development of the early 20th century
Fleming was a great researcher and medical professional, however, history will probably remember him by the miraculous discovery of the penicillium mold.
This was the first ever type of antibiotic and it was greatly used hence forth as a cure for all sorts of diseases. It was such a great development that it greatly stemmed the syphilis pandemic and gave people around the world a protection and cure of a severe disease.
Mold comes from the air
Whatever we do, we cannot escape the presence of tiny, minute mold spores in the air. Unless you live in a lab or an air tight space with dedicated anti-fungal filters, you probably already have it. It will develop in a certain area if and when the right conditions are met.
Those conditions include excessive moisture, the lack of sun-light, and the presence of cellulose or any sort of sugars. It is a natural part of life, and it should not be feared, though there could be severe side effects to ingesting or inhaling actual, germinated, mold though it depends on its genus.
Not all mold types are bad, but some are
The reason so much is being done in the industry of mold removal and remediation, is because it is difficult to determine, what type of mold it is, unless a test sample is sent to a lab.
While 5 out of 7 times the mold found on your property will be harmless, there is a 40% chance it will be extremely harmful to organic matter. The main toxic ingredient is mycotoxin and it can cause severe health issues.
Companies like GCD Restoration, who take extra care when dealing with mold and mildew, do so out of a health precaution. Whenever a client calls us, we are aware that the chances of finding toxic mold are high enough, so we treat even the smallest infestation as a high threat.
What sort of health risks does mold cause?
While there are academic papers which discuss the topic at length, we value our clients’ time and will make a long story short.
Toxic mold ingestion can and will cause any of the following:
Headaches, migraines, cluster headaches (the most painful kind known to man);
Respiratory infections, wheezing, shortness of breath, allergic reactions;
Neurological damage – will affect concentration, eyesight, may even induce pain as a result of mycotoxicoses in your bloodstream;
Heart palpitations and other cardiovascular issues due to irregularities of biological processe;
Weakening in muscle contractions due to reduced stimulation in certain neurological paths.
The list quite long and quite ugly, however, we will safe you the gory details.
The emphasis of the entire article is to give a clear perspective on the topic and explore it in a three dimensional way.
Call a certified, professional mold removal service and get peace of mind
We understand if you are concerned and thus have created an emergency help line available 24/7, call (650) 835-4447. There you can find quick assistance regarding any mold related issues you may be experiencing.
When encountering mold for the first time, it’s important to pay attention to its location, size and color, then contact us and give us a description.
After booking, we will send an inspection team to take a sample which will then be sent to a local laboratory for analysis. Depending on the results, whether it is toxic, or its regular mold, we will recommend a course of action.
That could include a full on approach including a disinfection of all HVAC air ducts, filters and other parts of the house. An Interior Air Quality Test would be a suitable solution for making sure that everything has been removed.
Stay Calm, it’s not all Bad!
If you take away something from this article, it should be that there is always a solution to a problem, sometimes it’s just removing and cleaning mold yourself, other times it’s calling professional help.